What Should You Do if You Are Involved in a DUII Automobile Crash

What to Do If You Become The Victim of a Drunk Driving Accident

Being in an automobile accident can be a traumatic experience in and of itself. There is property damage, pain, lost wages, medical bills, and other issues that will need to be addressed.

If you are involved in a crash, either as a driver, passenger or pedestrian, and the other driver is, or appears to be intoxicated, below are some tips on handling the accident claim process.

DUII Automobile Crash Victim

Report The Crash Immediately

If you can, call 911 from the accident scene and report the crash. When law enforcement arrives, cooperate with the investigating officer. Explain in detail how the accident happened and any observations regarding the at-fault driver’s condition. If you are aware of witnesses to the crash, point them out to the investigating officer, so that officer can get the witnesses’ contact information and statement. It may take a few days for the investigating officer to follow up on statements and prepare the police report. However, you should get the officer’s name, contact information, the agency the officer works for, and a crash report number.

If the at-fault driver is arrested, you may be contacted by the District Attorney’s office. You should cooperate with the DA’s office in its investigation. You may even be subpoenaed to court.

If You Are Able, Get the Names & Contact Information of All Witnesses

This information may be crucial to handling your case. Depending on the case, our office will usually contact witnesses and have them interviewed by a professional investigator. If you do not know the witnesses personally, they are considered to be “independent,” and their statement could help prove how the accident happened. or even observations regarding the at-fault driver.

Take Photographs at the Scene

If possible, take photographs of all vehicles involved and any road hazards that may have contributed to the accident (construction barriers, potholes, debris, etc). Also, photograph the roads and any important signage (i.e. One Way, Stop signs etc…). Anything will do and it may later prove very helpful in proving your case. If you are able to take video, particularly of the at-fault driver, that may assist in proving that driver was intoxicated.

Get Immediate Medical Treatment

Injuries from car crashes can vary from minor to life-threatening. If you are experiencing any pain, including mild pain or discomfort, immediately seek medical attention. If medical assistance is offered at the accident scene, consider having the paramedics examine you. If your automobile insurance was issued in Oregon, you automatically have a type of health insurance included on your policy. This is referred to as Personal Injury Protection, or PIP for short. PIP is first in line to cover your accident related medical expenses. Don’t worry if you don’t have health insurance. Again, PIP is primary and you should be able to use your PIP coverage to get the same medical treatment as health insurance.

Contact a Committed DUI Injury Attorney Today!

Call Dwyer Williams Cherkoss immediately. Our experienced staff can give you advice regarding any crash where you or someone you know was injured. There are many factors that can be addressed shortly after the crash, and we are here to help you through the process. Remember, it’s always best to call an experienced attorney before speaking to any insurance company.

The accident attorneys at Dwyer Williams Cherkoss in Oregon will help you hold the at-fault party accountable for your injuries. For dedicated personal injury legal representation, schedule a consultation with the lawyers at Dwyer Williams Cherkoss. Call 1-800-285-8678 today.